I am an international driver, I have received my decision granting me a temporary residence permit, but I did not receive a new card. Can I travel on an expired/invalid residence card abroad?

Created on: 03.04.2020
The answer reflects the legal status as of 18.04.2020.

Based on the regulations introduced on 31.03.2020, if your temporary residence permit expires from 14.03.2020, it is automatically extended until the 30th day following the date of cancellation of the epidemic state/epidemic emergency (the last state in force). No new residence card is to be issued in respect of the extension of the permit.

Changes in the regulations introduced on 18.04.2020 also make it possible to automatically extend the validity of the residence cards until the 30th day following the date of cancellation of an epidemic state/epidemic emergency. It is an exceptional measure and was introduced due to the need to limit as much as possible the direct customer service by the state administration in the face of the prevailing epidemic. The government of the Republic of Poland has notified this arrangement to the European Commission and other countries so that foreigners holding extended documents could travel within the Schengen area. However, until the position of individual states is known, this does not guarantee the entry into their territory.

Therefore, before starting a journey, it is essential to make sure that entry into the territory of a given country based on a document with an extended expiry date will be allowed. It applies, for example, to persons travelling in the course of their professional activities. The best source of information will be the border services of each country.

Due to restrictions on direct customer service, it is currently not possible to collect the residence card in person.

Report an error on this page / Leave feedback

This task is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.