On 15/03/2020, my long-term EU resident's residence card expired, but I had to leave, and I did not have time to apply to replace my residence card. I work as a lorry driver. Can I travel to other Schengen states?

Created on: 03.04.2020
The answear refers to the legal situation in force from 18 April 2020

Following amendments of regulations introduced on 18 April 2020 residence cards are automatically extended until the 30th day following the date of cancellation of the epidemic state/epidemic emergency (the state that was last in force). This is an exceptional solution and was introduced due to the need to limit as much as possible the direct customer service by the state administration in the face of the prevailing epidemic. The government of the Republic of Poland reported the introduction of this solution to the European Commission and other countries so that foreigners holding extended documents can travel within the Schengen area.

However, until the position of individual states is known, this does not guarantee the entry into their territory.

Therefore, before starting your journey, make sure that you will be able to enter the territory of a given country based on an extended document. It referes to e.g. persons  moving for professional activity purpose. The best source of information will be the national border services.

Regardless of the possibility of crossing the borders at the moment, your stay in Poland is legal and your permit is indefinite.

Report an error on this page / Leave feedback

This task is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.