Legal work in Poland

Who does it concern?

If you are:

  • a citizen of Ukraine or the spouse of a citizen of Ukraine and have the citizenship of another country, and you came to Poland from Ukraine from 24.02.2022 and you want to stay in Poland
  • a citizen of Ukraine and you stay in Poland legally on the basis of other documents, e.g. a temporary residence permit, visa - it does not matter since when you have been in Poland

You can legally work for any employer in Poland without additional permits.

Special regulations do not apply to citizens of other countries who came from Ukraine from  24.02.2022

What should you do? 

You should get a  PESEL number - This is how you will receive a PESEL number (UA).

You work legally on the basis of your employer's notification to the labor office.

Your employer only needs to notify the labor office within 14 days of starting work

The employer should send the notification electronically.

In case of changing the employer, only new notification to the labor office by the employer is necessary.

You do not need a new work permit, a declaration of entrusting work, or a amendment of temporary residence and work permit.

 What should you do if you are not a subject to special regulations?

If you are:

  • a stateless person or a citizen of a third country and before 24.02.2022 you had a refugee status or an equivalent protection in the territory of Ukraine, or you are a family member of such a person, provided that you were living together in the territory of Ukraine
  • a stateless person or a citizen of a third country and before 24.02.2022 you have legally resided in Ukraine on the basis of a permanent residence permit and you cannot return to your country of origin

you have been subject to the temporary protection on the basis of the Council Implementing Decision (EU) 2022/382 of 4 March 2022 establishing the existence of a mass influx of displaced persons from Ukraine within the meaning of Article 5 of Directive 2001/55/EC, and having the effect of introducing temporary protection.

The Head of Office for Foreigners issues a certificate confirming the use of temporary protection.

Having a certificate confirming that you are covered by temporary protection, you can perform work without the need for a work permit and run a business on the same terms as Polish citizens.

In order to confirm that the conditions for temporary protection are met, contact Office for Foreigners.

You will find here the announcement of the Head of Office for Foreigners

Did you find it useful?

Report an error on this page / Leave feedback

This task is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Leave feedback


Can I get a refund if I have not received the permit I applied for?

Permit was granted, so the stamp duty is not refundable.