Depending on your place of residence, your application will be examined by a Governor from a given region (Province). The same local authority rule would apply to most applications and institutions you will need to contact. If your employer applies for a work permit, he needs to contact the local Governor based on the location of their registered office.


It is a residence title that together with a valid passport entitles you to enter and stay in the Schengen area ("Schengen States"). It might allow you to:

  • either transit through or an intended stay in the territory of the Schengen States of a duration of no more than 90 days in any 180 days ("short-stay visa"),
  • or transit through the international transit areas of airports of the Schengen States ("airport transit visa").

This visa is marked with a "C" symbol.


It is a type of residential document which, along with a valid passport, entitles you to stay within the territory of the issuing country. For instance, if you hold a visa issued by a Polish Consul, it entitles you to stay in Poland for the period of its validity. The validity of such a visa depends on the purpose of travel. This visa is marked with a “D” symbol.


It is a type of residential document which, along with a valid passport, entitles you to stay within the territory of the Schengen Area member states. Visas are issued as Schengen or national visas by a consul. To obtain a visa, you should contact a proper diplomatic post or consular office in your country of origin.


A document confirming the possibility of providing the invited foreigner with accommodation, such as: 

  • a lease agreement, or
  • a lending contract for premises, or
  • a deed of ownership of premises, or
  • a cooperative ownership right to the premises, or
  • an extract from the real estate property records.

You need to prove the existence of sufficient financial resources to obtain an entry of the invitation in the invitation records. You can do so by attaching one of the following documents: 


The Schengen Area countries include: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Spain, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Germany, Portugal, Romania, Sweden, Italy, Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Malta, Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hungary, Croatia, as well as Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Norway and Iceland (the last four are non-EU Schengen countries).

Ireland and Cyprus are EU-countries which do not belong to the Schengen area. 

A formal request for entry and remain in Poland needs to be signed and submitted to the competent authorities on a valid application form. The form is specified by law. A current application form you will find on our website: files to download

An application submitted on not valid/current application form and/or not signed is considered as a formal error/formal deficiency.


There are documents without which the initiation of the proceeding is not possible, for example: completed and signed application form, photographs, a valid travel document (passport) etc.

The procedure of the application formal assessment is an initial stage during which your application form is being verified. All the required documents are being checked to enable the procedure of legalization of your stay. This stage of your procedure is the initial stage.