Temporary residence permit for high qualified workers (EU Blue Card)

When should I apply?

You should apply for a temporary residence permit, the so-called EU Blue Card if you wish to stay in Poland for a period exceeding 3 months and your primary purpose of stay is work in a profession requiring high qualifications.

You should apply for a residence permit in person before your current legal status expires (i.e. before your visa or residence card expires).

If you apply to extend your stay in Poland before the expiry date of your legal status, you can legally remain in Poland while your application is pending. Make sure you have submitted an error-free application. Your passport must be valid at this time.

In some cases, we may return your application without processing it. It may happen if you enter the territory of Poland on a national/Schengen visa for the purpose of tourism or visiting family and friends.

Before you apply, read our tips on how to fill in an application form.

Where should I apply?

You may apply in person at the Department for Foreigners in Poznań or one of the office's delegations: Book your visit

If you cannot apply in person before your current legal status expires, please send your application by post to meet the deadline.

What counts is the date of postage at the post office.

If you apply by post, your next step is to visit the office in person to give your fingerprints - make an appointment 

During your visit, you may also file other documents that are required to get a stamp in your passport.

Learn how to give your fingerprints

What documents do I need?

Documents required to obtain a stamp in your passport (i.e. formal requirements)


Documents required to be granted the residence permit:

  • Annex No. 1 to the application confirms that you have the purpose of stay in Poland for more than 3 months, a stable and regular source of income and health insurance (in the case of an employment contract and a contract of mandate). On the basis of this document we check whether you have sufficient income to support yourself. The conditions of employment specified in Annex No. 1 must be valid on the day of issuing the permit and must be consistent with the conditions resulting from other documents, e.g. employment contract, labour market test;
  • original Labour market test or a document confirming the exemption from this obligation. If a document is required, the application should be accompanied by the original Labour market test for the main place of your work - the lack of such document is not a formal error, but the inclusion of all properly prepared documents when filing the application will make it easier to examine your application;
  • current document confirming the place of residence in the territory of the Republic of Poland;
  • a contract of employment concluded for a period of at least 1 year, a contract of employment, a contract of superimposed employment, a civil-law contract on the basis of which you perform work, provide services or are in an official relationship;
  • evidence of professional qualifications, e.g. original university degree and its translation into Polish by a sworn translator.
The gross annual remuneration resulting from the monthly or annual remuneration specified in the agreement may not be lower than the equivalent of 150% of the average remuneration in the national economy in the year preceding the submitting an application for temporary residence.

What should I know?

Read our guide

This permit is granted for a period longer by 3 months than the period of work indicated in the application, but not longer than 3 years.

The permit entitles you to work only under the conditions specified therein.

From 1st January 2019, there are rules in force according to which a limit may be set on the number of temporary residences permits granted for the first time in a calendar year due to highly qualified employment. This limit may cover particular province, professions, types of agreements based on which you may be emloyed, or types of activity of an entity which employs you. In case the limit set out in the Regulation is reached, the permit may not be granted. Limits are announced in a given calendar year in the Official Journal of the Republic of Poland "Monitor Polski". There are currently no such limits implemented.

I have received my decison - how to get my residence card now?

The residence card is issued after obtaining a positive decision on granting the permit. Read how to get a residence card

Did you find it useful?

Report an error on this page / Leave feedback

This task is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Leave feedback


Who, when can apply for a permit in order to perform work in a highly qualified profession?

The permit may be applied for by a foreigner whose purpose of stay on the territory of the Republic of Poland is to work in a profession requiring higher education or to have at least 5 years of professional experience in a given position. The condition for granting a residence permit for the...

read the whole answer...

What documents do I have to submit?

  • employment contract/order/work contract for a period of at least 1 year;

  • evidence of higher professional qualifications - diploma of graduation or evidence of 5 years of professional experience in a given position, e.g. certificate of employment;

  • ...

read the whole answer...

How long will I be allowed to work in a highly qualified profession?

The duration of the permit depends on the duration of your employment contract. If the agreement is valid for a period shorter than 3 years, the permit will be granted for a period of 3 months longer than the agreement, but not longer than 3 years. If the agreement is concluded for a period...

read the whole answer...

The diploma was issued in Ukraine - do I have to submit a translated document?

Yes, you must submit your diploma together with a translation made by a Polish sworn translator entered on the list of sworn translators issued by the...

read the whole answer...

What kind of evidence confirms higher professional qualifications?

A higher education diploma or documents confirming, that you have five years of professional experience, e.g. a certificate of employment.

Documents in a foreign language should be submitted with a translation into Polish made by a sworn translator...
read the whole answer...