Minor child of a Polish citizen

When to apply?

A permanent residence permit for a minor is granted to a child of a Polish citizen remaining under his/her parental authority.

In the case of a foreign minor, the application for granting him/her a permanent residence permit shall be submitted by the parents or court-appointed guardians or one of the parents or one of the court-appointed guardians, not later than on the last day of the child's legal stay on the Polish territory. When applying for a permanent residence permit for a minor who on the day of filing the application is over 6 years old, his/her presence is required.

If the child was born in Poland, submit the application as soon as the travel document for the child is issued.

If you apply to extend your stay in Poland before the expiry date of your legal status, your child can legally remain in Poland while your application is pending. Make sure you have submitted an error-free application. Your passport must be valid at this time.

Before you apply, read our tips on how to fill in an application form.

Where should I apply?

You may apply in person at the Department for Foreigners in Poznań or one of the office's delegations: Book your visit

If you cannot apply in person before your current legal status expires, please send your application by post to meet the deadline.

What counts is the date of postage at the post office.

If you apply by post, your next step is to visit the office in person to give your fingerprints.

During your visit, you may also file other documents that are required to get a stamp in your passport.

Learn how to give your fingerprints

What documents do I need?

Documents required to obtain a stamp in your passport (i.e. formal requirements)

To start the proceedings you also need the confirmation of the stamp duty payment.


Documents needed for granting the permit:

What should I know?

Read our guide

Permanent residence permits are granted for an indefinite period.

I have received the decison - how to get the residence card now??

When a residence card issued to a minor over 13 years of age is collected, his/her presence is required. When a residence card has been issued to a minor under 13 years of age by the date of its receipt, the card shall be collected by his legal representative or guardian.

The residence card is issued after obtaining a positive decision on granting the permit.

Read How to receive residence card?

Did you find it useful?

Report an error on this page / Leave feedback

This task is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Leave feedback


Can all foreigners be granted permanent residence?

Permanent residence permit applies to foreigners whose primary purpose of stay is not for economic reasons. Persons such as: spouses of Polish citizens, persons of Polish origin, children of persons who already have a permanent residence permit or l...

read the whole answer...

After how many years of stay in Poland can I get permanent residence?

It depends on the reasons for your stay in Poland so far:

There is no time limit in the following cases:

  • after receiving the asylum decision,
  • in the case of a child of a foreigner who has been granted a permanent residence permit or
  • long-term resident's EU...
read the whole answer...

I am a citizen of Ukraine, my family is of Polish origin - can I apply for permanent residence?

You will be considered a person of Polish origin if you declare Polish nationality and meet the following conditions jointly:

  • At least one of your parents or grandparents or two great grandparents were of Polish nationality,
  • and show your relationship with Polishness....
read the whole answer...

How long can I stay outside Poland to be still entitled to obtain a permanent residence permit?

During the period required to apply for a permanent residence permit, you may stay outside Poland for a maximum of 6 months at a time, and all your stays outside Poland may not exceed 10 months.

Find out what...

read the whole answer...

What does uninterrupted residence in Poland mean?

See Uninterrupted residence in our Glossary.