Scientific research

When should I apply?

You should apply if you wish to stay in Poland for longer than 3 months and you also hold a professional title that in Poland corresponds to at least a master's degree or to an equivalent, allowing an application for doctoral degree and the main purpose of your stay is to conduct scientific research or development projects in a research unit based in Poland and approved by the minister responsible for internal affairs.

Did you finish a research? Are you looking for a job? Are you starting  a company?
If immediately before submitting the application for a temporary residence permit you stayed on the territory of Poland on the basis of a temporary residence permit in order to conduct scientific research you have completed scientific research or development project and you are looking for a job in Poland or you are planning to start doing business in this territory, you can likewise get permission. A temporary residence permit is then granted once, immediately after the completion of scientific research or development project for 9 months.

You should apply for a residence permit in person before your current legal status expires (i.e. before your visa or residence card expires).

If you apply to extend your stay in Poland before the expiry date of your legal status, you can legally remain in Poland while your application is pending. Make sure you have submitted an error-free application. Your passport must be valid at this time.

For applications submitted before 27.04.2019 different rules apply. To the conclusion before 27.04.2019 you do not have to provide a statement of housing costs We only need to check that if you have enough resources to cover the costs of living in Poland and return travel.

Before you apply, read our tips on completing the application forms.

Where should I apply?

You may apply in person at the Department for Foreigners in Poznań or one of the office's delegations: Book your visit

If you cannot apply in person before your current legal status expires, please send your application by post to meet the deadline.

What counts is the date of postage at the post office.

If you apply by post, your next step is to visit the office in person to give your fingerprints.

During your visit, you may also file other documents that are required to get a stamp in your passport.

Learn how to give your fingerprints

What documents do I need?

Documents required to obtain a stamp in your passport (i.e. formal requirements)


Documents required to be granted the permit:

  • a contract on the admission of a scientist for the purpose of conducting scientific research or development works concluded with a scientific unit based in Poland,

  • a written statement of the scientific unit in which it undertakes to costs related to your to return;

  • health insurance document;

  • a document confirming sufficient financial resources to cover the costs of the maintenance in Poland and return travel for the duration of scientific research or development projects, after deduction of the cost of residence;

  • a statement on the cost of living.

What should I know?

Read our guide

The permit is granted for a period not longer than 3 years.

This permit entitles you to perform work without the need to obtain an additional work permit.

I have received my decison - how to get my residence card now?

The residence card is issued after you have received your decision with your permit. Read How to receive my residence card? 

Did you find it useful?

Report an error on this page / Leave feedback

This task is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Leave feedback