A spouse of a Polish citizen

When should I apply?

You should apply if you are a spouse of a Polish citizen and you stay in Poland continuously (uninterrupted residence) for not less than 2 years based on a temporary residence permit granted due to this marriage, and it has passed at least 3 years after getting married.

You should apply for a residence permit in person before your current legal status expires (i.e. before your visa or residence card expires). If you apply to extend your stay in Poland before the expiry date of your legal status, you can legally remain in Poland while your application is pending. Make sure you have submitted an error-free application. Your passport must be valid at this time.

Before you apply, read our tips on how to fill in an application form.

Where should I apply?

You may apply in person at the Department for Foreigners in Poznań or one of the office's delegations: Book your visit

If you cannot apply in person before your current legal status expires, please send your application by post to meet the deadline.

What counts is the date of postage at the post office.

If you apply by post, your next step is to visit the office in person to give your fingerprints.

During your visit, you may also file other documents that are required to get a stamp in your passport.

Learn how to give your fingerprints

What documents do I need?

Documents needed to obtain a stamp in a passport (so-called formal defects):

  • Application form - fill in the on-line application or fill in the application in accordance with the instructions in 1 copy (application to be downloaded)
  • 4 photos,
  • Copy of your valid travel document (original for inspection). In exceptional cases where you have no valid travel document and you cannot obtain it, you can present a different document confirming your identity.

Stamp duty proof of payment is also required to begin the proceedings.


Documents needed to grant the permit:

All documents need to be submitted in original/certified copy

 What should I know?

I have received my decison - how to get my residence card now?

The residence card is issued after you have received your decision with your permit.
Read How to receive residence card

Did you find it useful?

Report an error on this page / Leave feedback

This task is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Leave feedback


Can all foreigners be granted permanent residence?

Permanent residence permit applies to foreigners whose primary purpose of stay is not for economic reasons. Persons such as: spouses of Polish citizens, persons of Polish origin, children of persons who already have a permanent residence permit or l...

read the whole answer...

After how many years of stay in Poland can I get permanent residence?

It depends on the reasons for your stay in Poland so far:

There is no time limit in the following cases:

  • after receiving the asylum decision,
  • in the case of a child of a foreigner who has been granted a permanent residence permit or
  • long-term resident's EU...
read the whole answer...

I am a citizen of Ukraine, my family is of Polish origin - can I apply for permanent residence?

You will be considered a person of Polish origin if you declare Polish nationality and meet the following conditions jointly:

  • At least one of your parents or grandparents or two great grandparents were of Polish nationality,
  • and show your relationship with Polishness....
read the whole answer...

How long can I stay outside Poland to be still entitled to obtain a permanent residence permit?

During the period required to apply for a permanent residence permit, you may stay outside Poland for a maximum of 6 months at a time, and all your stays outside Poland may not exceed 10 months.

Find out what...

read the whole answer...

What does uninterrupted residence in Poland mean?

See Uninterrupted residence in our Glossary.