When should I apply?
You should apply for a temporary residence permit if you wish to stay in Poland for longer than 3 months and your spouse, whom you are joining applied for their first temporary residence permit or has a temporary residence permit for a period shorter than 2 years, and has neither a permanent residence permit nor a residence permit for a long-term resident of the EU.
You should NOT submit the application if you intend to:
- run a business
- take up any type of education including full-time studies
If you apply to extend your stay in Poland before the expiry date of your legal status, you can legally remain in Poland while your application is pending. Make sure you have submitted an error-free application. Your passport must be valid at this time.
Before you apply, read our tips on how to fill in an application form.
Where should I apply?
You may apply in person at the Department for Foreigners in Poznań or one of the office's delegations: Book your visit
If you cannot apply in person before your current legal status expires, please send your application by post to meet the deadline.
What counts is the date of postage at the post office.
If you apply by post, your next step is to visit the office in person to give your fingerprints - make an appointment
During your visit, you may also file other documents that are required to get a stamp in your passport.
Learn how to give your fingerprints
What documents do I need?
Documents required to obtain a stamp in your passport (i.e. formal requirements)
- Application completed in accordance with the instructions in 1 copy (application to be downloaded). You can receive a copy of your application form in our offices,
- 4 photographs,
- A photocopy of a valid travel document (the original for inspection), in a particularly justified case, when a foreigner does not have a valid travel document and he or she is not able to obtain one, he or she may present another document confirming his/her identity.
To start the proceedings will also be needed confirmation that you have paid the stamp duty.
Documents required to be granted the permit:
- copy of the residence permit in Poland of the spouse with whom you intend to stay on Polish territory (if he has any),
- marriage certificate,
- certified translation of your marriage certificate,
- health insurance,
- confirmation of having accommodation provided,
- source of stable and regular income.
All documents are submitted in original / certified copy.
What should I know?
The requirement to have a stable and regular source of income is also considered met if the costs of your living will be covered by the your spouse who resides in Poland.
During the procedure for granting a temporary residence permit to a foreigner's spouse, we determine whether the marriage has not been concluded in order to circumvent the provisions determining the terms and conditions of entry and stay of foreigners on the territory of the Republic of Poland. If you need to explain or clarify the evidence we have in the case during the proceedings you may be asked to provide other documents or to testify confirming the circumstances that you indicated in the application and the circumstances regarding the purpose of your marriage.
I have received my decison - how to get my residence card now?
The residence card is issued after you have received your decision with your permit.
Read How to receive residence card?