I have a permit for tolerated stay in Poland

When should I apply?

You should apply if you stay in Poland for a continuous period of not less than 10 years, based on a permit for tolerated stay.

Permanent residence permit cannot be granted to foreigners who have been granted a permit for tolerated stay on the territory of Poland due to the impracticability of the foreigner's obligation to return for reasons beyond the control of the authority competent to enforce the decision obliging the foreigner to return and from the foreigner, i.e. the permit for tolerated stay was issued on the basis of art. 351 paragraph 1 item 2 of the Act on foreigners.

You should apply after 10 years from receiving your permit for tolerated stay in person, before your current legal status expires (i.e. before your visa or residence card expires).

If you apply to extend your stay in Poland before the expiry date of your legal status, you can legally remain in Poland while your application is pending. Make sure you have submitted an error-free application. Your passport must be valid at this time.

Before you apply, read our tips on how to fill in an application form.

Where should I apply?

You may apply in person at the Department for Foreigners in Poznań or one of the office's delegations: Book your visit

If you cannot apply in person before your current legal status expires, please send your application by post to meet the deadline.

What counts is the date of postage at the post office.

If you apply by post, your next step is to visit the office in person to give your fingerprints.

During your visit, you may also file other documents that are required to get a stamp in your passport.

Learn how to give your fingerprints

What documents do I need to support my application?

Documents needed to obtain a stamp in a passport (so-called formal defects):

  • Application form - fill in the on-line application or fill in the application in accordance with the instructions in 1 copy (application to be downloaded)
  • 4 photos,
  • Copy of your valid travel document (original for inspection). In exceptional cases where you have no valid travel document and you cannot obtain it, you can present a different document confirming your identity.

Stamp duty proof of payment is also required to begin the proceedings.


Documents needed to grant the permit:

  • Decision on granting a permit for tolerated stay,

  • Documents confirming that your stay on Polish territory was uninterrupted or documents stating the reasons for the occurrence of breaks in your stay.

All documents are submitted in original / certified copy.

During the proceedings, you may be asked to come to the office for an interview to provide additional clarifications.

What should I know?

The permit is issued for an indefinite period. This permit entitles you to work without a work permit.

Read our guide

I have received my decison - how to get my residence card now?

The residence card is issued after you have received your decision with your permit.
Read How to receive residence card

Did you find it useful?

Report an error on this page / Leave feedback

This task is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.


I have a Pole's Card - what documents do I have to submit to obtain permanent residence in Poland?

In addition to the application, a valid travel document and photographs, you must submit a valid Pole's Card and documents confirming that you intend to settle in Poland permanently, as well as certificates of no criminal record in Poland and of no tax liability in Poland. An application for...

read the whole answer...

I received a refugee status in Poland 4 years ago - can I apply for a permanent residence?

As a rule, permanent residence due to refugee status can be applied for after 5 years of uninterrupted residence in Poland on the basis of refugee status, however, this period also includes the period of stay in Poland in the course of international protection proceedings, even if you were in a...

read the whole answer...

A foreigner bought a flat/house in Poland. Does this fact entitle him/her to submit an application for a permanent residence?

The mere fact of buying a property is not a sufficient reason to apply for a permanent residence. The regulations precisely specify who and in which case can obtain a permanent residence permit in Poland. For more information see our website:...

read the whole answer...