I am of Polish origin

When should I apply?

You should apply due to Polish origin if at least one of your parents or grandparents or two great grandparents are of Polish nationality, and you declare Polish nationality and demonstrate your relationship with Polishness.

You should apply for a residence permit in person before your current legal status expires (i.e. before your visa or residence card expires). If you apply to extend your stay in Poland before the expiry date of your legal status, you can legally remain in Poland while your application is pending. Make sure you have submitted an error-free application. Your passport must be valid at this time.

Before you apply, read our tips on how to fill in an application form.

Where should I apply?

You may apply in person at the Department for Foreigners in Poznań or one of the office's delegations: Book your visit

If you cannot apply in person before your current legal status expires, please send your application by post to meet the deadline.

What counts is the date of postage at the post office.

If you apply by post, your next step is to visit the office in person to give your fingerprints.

During your visit, you may also file other documents that are required to get a stamp in your passport.

Learn how to give your fingerprints

What documents do I need?

Documents needed to obtain a stamp in a passport (so-called formal defects):

  • Application form - fill in the on-line application or fill in the application in accordance with the instructions in 1 copy (application to be downloaded)
  • 4 photos,
  • Copy of your valid travel document (original for inspection). In exceptional cases where you have no valid travel document and you cannot obtain it, you can present a different document confirming your identity.

Stamp duty proof of payment is also required to begin the proceedings.


Documents needed to grant the permit:

All documents are submitted in original.

  • Documents confirming the Polish nationality of your ancestors;
  • Documents indicating a relationship with Polishness, e.g. a certificate of belonging to Polish diaspora organizations;

  • Documents confirming your desire to settle on the territory of the Republic of Poland (e.g. rent contract, employment contract, documents confirming your studies, etc.).

This is a special type of permit, and the documents needed to grant it are may vary depends on each case, we also approach each case individually. Therefore, during the examination of your application, we will ask you to come to the office for an interview, so that you can tell yourself about Polish origin and your relationship with Polishness.

What should I know?

The permit is issued for an indefinite period. This permit entitles you to work without a work permit.

Read our guide

I have received my decison - how to get my residence card now?

The residence card is issued after you have received your decision with your permit.
Read How to receive residence card

Did you find it useful?

Report an error on this page / Leave feedback

This task is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Leave feedback


During the validity of the residence card in Poland obtained 2 years ago due to a marriage concluded more than 3 years ago with a Polish citizen, I lived in Germany for 1 year - can I apply for permanent residence?

It depends on the reasons for staying in Germany - as a rule, the total period of stay outside of Poland during the period required to apply for permanent residence may not exceed more than 6 months at a time, and all stays outside of Poland in total may not exceed 10 months.

I have a permanent residence in Poland, will my family receive permanent residence as soon as they come to Poland for the first time?

You can apply for a permanent residence only for a child remaining under your parental authority - this applies to a child born after granting you permanent residence permit and to a child born before granting it, but only if it was born during the period when you had a temporary residence...

read the whole answer...

My child was born in Poland, now there is no document legalizing its stay in Poland - if I have a permanent residence permit, can the child also receive it?

If the child was born after granting you a permanent residence permit or before it is granted, but on the condition that it was born during a period when you had a temporary residence permit or stayed in Poland on the basis of a permit for tolerated stay, permission to stay for humanitarian...

read the whole answer...

The Polish origin of my family in Belarus is proved by a document confirming my grandfather's participation in the Polish elections to Parliament - is this enough for me to obtain a permanent residence in Poland?

Unfortunately no, the only way to confirm Polish origin is to submit documents indicating Polish nationality (and not citizenship) of at least one of your parents or grandparents or two great grandparents.