When should I apply?
You apply for a permanent residence permit for your child if you are a foreigner who has been granted a permanent residence permit or a residence permit for a long-term resident of the EU and you want to obtain a permanent residence permit for your minor child born:
- after granting you a permanent residence permit or a residence permit for a long-term resident of the EU, or
- during the period of validity of the temporary residence permit granted to you or during the period of permit granted to you for humanitarian reasons or permit for tolerated stay or in connection with granting you refugee status or subsidiary protection.
The application on behalf of a minor foreigner is submitted by parents or guardians appointed by the court, or one of the parents or one of the guardians appointed by the court. When applying, a minor who is at least 6 years old must be present.
If your child was born in Poland, apply immediately after obtaining the child's travel document.
If you apply before the expiry date of your child's legal status, your child can legally remain in Poland while their application is pending. Make sure you have submitted an error-free application. Their passport must be valid at this time.
Children born in Poland will be legally in Poland only after their permanent residence permit is granted.
Before you apply, read our tips on how to fill in an application form.
Where should I apply?
What counts is the date of postage at the post office.
If you apply by post, your next step is to visit the office in person to give your fingerprints - make an appointment
During your visit, you may also file other documents that are required to get a stamp in your passport.
Learn how to give your fingerprints
What documents do I need?
Documents required to start the procedure (i.e. formal requirements)
- Application completed in accordance with the instructions in 1 copy (application to be downloaded). You can receive a copy of your application form in our offices or use the interactive application form
- 4 photographs,
- A photocopy of a valid travel document (the original for inspection), in a particularly justified case, when you do not have a valid travel document and you are not able to obtain one, you may present another document confirming your child's identity.
To start the proceedings will also be needed confirmation that you have paid the stamp duty.
Documents needed to grant the permit:
- child's birth certificate,
- a copy of the parent's decision to grant a residence permit in Poland.
All documents are submitted in original / certified copy.
What should I know?
Permanent residence permits are granted for an indefinite period.
I have received my decison - how to get my residence card now?
When a residence card issued to a minor over 13 years of age is collected, his/her presence is required. When a residence card has been issued to a minor under 13 years of age by the date of its receipt, the card shall be collected by his legal representative or guardian.
The residence card is issued after obtaining a positive decision on granting the permit. Read how to get a residence card