Permanent stay for a minor child of a Polish descent

When should I apply?

You should apply for your minor child if you are a Polish citizen and you hold a parental authority over the child.

The application on behalf of a minor child is submitted by parents or guardians appointed by the court, or one of the parents or one of the guardians appointed by the court. When applying, a minor who is at least 6 years old must be present.

If your child was born in Poland, apply immediately after obtaining the child's travel document.

If you apply before the expiry date of your child's legal status, your child can legally remain in Poland while their application is pending. Make sure you have submitted an error-free application. Their passport must be valid at this time.

Children born in Poland will be legally in Poland only after their permanent residence permit is granted.

Before you apply, read our tips on completing the application forms

Where should I apply?

You may apply in person at the Department for Foreigners in Poznań or one of the office's delegations: Book your visit

If you cannot apply in person before your current legal status expires, please send your application by post to meet the deadline.

What counts is the date of postage at the post office.

If you apply by post, your next step is to visit the office in person to give your fingerprints.

During your visit, you may also file other documents that are required to get a stamp in your passport.

Learn how to give your fingerprints

What documents do I need?

Documents needed to obtain a stamp in a passport (so-called formal defects): Read our guide

  • Application form - fill in the on-line application or fill in the application in accordance with the instructions in 1 copy (application to be downloaded)
  • 4 photos,
  • Copy of a valid travel document (original for inspection). In exceptional cases where you have no valid travel document and you cannot obtain it, you can present a different document confirming his/her identity.

Stamp duty proof of payment is also required to begin the proceedings.


Documents needed to grant the permit:

All documents are submitted in original / certified copy.

What should I know?

Read our guide
Permanent residence permits are granted for an indefinite period.

I have received my decison - how to get my residence card now?

When collecting a residence card issued to a minor who is at least 6 years old, his presence is required.

The residence card is issued after obtaining a positive decision on granting the permit. Read how to get a residence card

Did you find it useful?

Report an error on this page / Leave feedback

This task is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Leave feedback


Can all foreigners be granted permanent residence?

Permanent residence permit applies to foreigners whose primary purpose of stay is not for economic reasons. Persons such as: spouses of Polish citizens, persons of Polish origin, children of persons who already have a permanent residence permit or l...

read the whole answer...

After how many years of stay in Poland can I get permanent residence?

It depends on the reasons for your stay in Poland so far:

There is no time limit in the following cases:

  • after receiving the asylum decision,
  • in the case of a child of a foreigner who has been granted a permanent residence permit or
  • long-term resident's EU...
read the whole answer...

I am a citizen of Ukraine, my family is of Polish origin - can I apply for permanent residence?

You will be considered a person of Polish origin if you declare Polish nationality and meet the following conditions jointly:

  • At least one of your parents or grandparents or two great grandparents were of Polish nationality,
  • and show your relationship with Polishness....
read the whole answer...

How long can I stay outside Poland to be still entitled to obtain a permanent residence permit?

During the period required to apply for a permanent residence permit, you may stay outside Poland for a maximum of 6 months at a time, and all your stays outside Poland may not exceed 10 months.

Find out what...

read the whole answer...

What does uninterrupted residence in Poland mean?

See Uninterrupted residence in our Glossary.