Residence permit for a long-term resident of the EU

When should I apply?

You should apply after you have been in Poland for at least 5 years.
You should apply for a residence permit in person before your current legal status expires (i.e. before your visa or residence card expires).

The application for a Residence permit for a long-term resident of the EU should be submitted in person, not later than on the last day of legal stay in the territory of Poland.

Not every stay is included in the 5-year period. Find out more.

If you apply to extend your stay in Poland before the expiry date of your legal status, you can legally remain in Poland while your application is pending. Make sure you have submitted an error-free application. Your passport must be valid at this time.

Before you apply, read our tips on how to complete the application form.

Where should I apply?

You may apply in person at the Department for Foreigners in Poznań or one of the office's delegations: Book your visit

If you cannot apply in person before your current legal status expires, please send your application by post to meet the deadline.

What counts is the date of postage at the post office.

If you apply by post, your next step is to visit the office in person to give your fingerprints - make an appointment 

During your visit, you may also file other documents that are required to get a stamp in your passport.

Learn how to give your fingerprints

What documents do I need?

Documents needed to obtain a stamp in a passport (so-called formal requirements):

You will need also an original of  the stamp duty payment to start the proceedings.


Documents required to be granted the residence permit:

  • stable and regular income, e.g. tax settlements from the last 3 years immediately preceding the submission of the application. If you are working - a current contract confirming the execution of work and contracts concluded within 3 years immediately preceding the submission of the application. If you run an economic activity or a partnership/company - documents confirming current income earned from the conducted company / employment contract, if on its basis you perform your function as a member of the management board. You can also submit other documents confirming your income and we will check them individually.
  • health insurance,
  • documents confirming your knowledge of Polish language.
During the proceedings, you may be asked to present additional documents, e.g. a proof of your uninterrupted stay in Poland or other documents than those indicated above which show that you have a stable and regular income. Unfortunately, we cannot provide an exact list of documents required before the application is submitted. These documents depend on the type of work you perform and your employment history, so when your application is being examined, we might ask you for additional documentation confirming that the conditions for granting the permit are met. 

All documents need to be submitted in original/certified copy

What should I know?

Can I work?

After obtaining a residence permit for a long-term resident of the EU, you may work in Poland without a work permit. The residence card contains the annotation "access to the labour market".

I have received my decison - how to get my residence card now?

The residence card is issued after obtaining a positive decision on granting the permit. Read how to get a residence card

Did you find it useful?

Report an error on this page / Leave feedback

This task is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.


What does the term 'title to the property' mean and is this document necessary to initiate the procedure for granting a long-term resident's EU residence permit?

I had a temporary residence permit in Poland for the last 5 years due to my ongoing studies - can I already obtain a long-term resident's EU residence permit?

If you are now staying in Poland on the basis of a temporary residence permit due to your studies and file an application for a long-term resident of the EU, the proceedings will not be initiated.

Remember also that in the future the period of stay in Poland due to studies will be counted...

read the whole answer...

I have been staying in Poland for 10 years on the basis of temporary residence permits on account of work, but a year ago I was unemployed for 4 months - can I apply for a long-term resident's EU residence permit in Poland?

Yes, you can apply for a long-term resident's residence. We will check if your average income for the previous year converted to 12 months was not lower than the required income in a given period. Before 1.10.2018 it was the income in the amount of PLN 514 per month per person in a family and...

read the whole answer...

Is the period of study on part-time studies in Poland counted towards the stay of a long-term resident in half-time as well as the period of full-time studies?

No, this period does not count towards the 5-year period of stay in Poland.

During the last 5 years before submitting the application, I stayed outside Poland longer than the permissible break, can I still obtain a resident's residence permit?

If you document that your stays outside of Poland were related to:

  • performing professional duties for a Polish employer (delegations) or accompanying a spouse or a parent in such trips, or
  • a special personal situation requiring going outside the territory of Poland, if it...
read the whole answer...