Residence permit for a long-term resident of the EU

When should I apply?

You should apply after you have been in Poland for at least 5 years.
You should apply for a residence permit in person before your current legal status expires (i.e. before your visa or residence card expires).

The application for a Residence permit for a long-term resident of the EU should be submitted in person, not later than on the last day of legal stay in the territory of Poland.

Not every stay is included in the 5-year period. Find out more.

If you apply to extend your stay in Poland before the expiry date of your legal status, you can legally remain in Poland while your application is pending. Make sure you have submitted an error-free application. Your passport must be valid at this time.

Before you apply, read our tips on how to complete the application form.

Where should I apply?

You may apply in person at the Department for Foreigners in Poznań or one of the office's delegations: Book your visit

If you cannot apply in person before your current legal status expires, please send your application by post to meet the deadline.

What counts is the date of postage at the post office.

If you apply by post, your next step is to visit the office in person to give your fingerprints.

During your visit, you may also file other documents that are required to get a stamp in your passport.

Learn how to give your fingerprints

What documents do I need?

Documents needed to obtain a stamp in a passport (so-called formal requirements):

You will need also an original of  the stamp duty payment to start the proceedings.


Documents required to be granted the residence permit:

  • stable and regular income, e.g. tax settlements from the last 3 years immediately preceding the submission of the application. If you are working - a current contract confirming the execution of work and contracts concluded within 3 years immediately preceding the submission of the application. If you run an economic activity or a partnership/company - documents confirming current income earned from the conducted company / employment contract, if on its basis you perform your function as a member of the management board. You can also submit other documents confirming your income and we will check them individually.
  • health insurance,
  • documents confirming your knowledge of Polish language.
During the proceedings, you may be asked to present additional documents, e.g. a proof of your uninterrupted stay in Poland or other documents than those indicated above which show that you have a stable and regular income. Unfortunately, we cannot provide an exact list of documents required before the application is submitted. These documents depend on the type of work you perform and your employment history, so when your application is being examined, we might ask you for additional documentation confirming that the conditions for granting the permit are met. 

All documents need to be submitted in original/certified copy

What should I know?

Can I work?

After obtaining a residence permit for a long-term resident of the EU, you may work in Poland without a work permit. The residence card contains the annotation "access to the labour market".

I have received my decison - how to get my residence card now?

The residence card is issued after obtaining a positive decision on granting the permit. Read how to get a residence card

Did you find it useful?

Report an error on this page / Leave feedback

This task is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.


How many years of stable and regular income obtained in the territory of Poland should be demonstrated in order to obtain a long-term resident's EU residence permit?

  • You must demonstrate that you have a stable regular income for the three years immediately preceding your application, or two years, if you are in Poland on the basis of a Blue Card.

  • Remember that as of the date of issuing the decision on the long-term resident's...

read the whole answer...

Are savings a stable and regular source of income?

No. A stable and regular source of income is one that repeats at regular intervals, e.g. remuneration for work.

Will income from work that was not legal be taken into account in the calculation of income for the last 3 years? My employer paid taxes and social security contributions.

No. This income will not be taken into account even if it has been taxed and the employer has paid health insurance contributions. During the examination of your application we will check whether you have worked legally for the last 3 years.

In what situations will the application for a long-term resident's EU residence permit not be examined?

If you are in Poland:

illegally, or

  • for the purposes of study, vocational training or study, or
  • in connection with obtaining a residence permit for humanitarian reasons, a permit for tolerated stay, asylum or temporary protection, or in connection with applying for...
read the whole answer...

If I have applied for a long-term resident's residence in the EU and have a stamp in my passport and my work permit has expired, I do not change my employer - can I work?

Yes, you can.