Stay with a minor child who is a Polish citizen

When should I apply?

You should apply if you intend to stay on the territory of the Republic of Poland for more than 3 months with a minor child who a Polish citizen.

You should apply for a residence permit in person before your current legal status expires (i.e. before your visa or residence card expires).

If you apply to extend your stay in Poland before the expiry date of your legal status, you can legally remain in Poland while your application is pending. Make sure you have submitted an error-free application. Your passport must be valid at this time.

Before you apply, read our tips on how to fill in an application form.

Where should I apply?

You may apply in person at the Department for Foreigners in Poznań or one of the office's delegations: Book your visit

If you cannot apply in person before your current legal status expires, please send your application by post to meet the deadline.

What counts is the date of postage at the post office.

If you apply by post, your next step is to visit the office in person to give your fingerprints.

During your visit, you may also file other documents that are required to get a stamp in your passport.

Learn how to give your fingerprints

What documents do I need?

Documents required to obtain a stamp in your passport (i.e. formal requirements)


Documents required to be granted the permit:

What should I know?

Read our guide

The requirement to have a stable and regular source of income is also considered met if the cost of your living is covered by a family member who resides in the territory of the Republic of Poland. The adult child is not treated as a family member. If you are dependent on your adult child, you can confirm that you have a stable and regular source of income with an annuity contract that you sign with your adult child in the presence of a notary. Together with the annuity agreement, you should submit documents confirming the source and amount of income obtained by the adult child with whom you intend to stay in Poland.

During the procedure for granting a temporary residence permit, we determine whether the relationship with an adult child residing in Poland is real and permanent. If we need to explain or clarify the evidence we have in the case during the proceedings, you may be asked to provide other documents or to testify confirming the circumstances that you indicated in the application and the circumstances regarding the purpose of your stay in Poland.

This type of temporary residence permit does NOT entitle you to work without the need for an additional work permit. Information on the inability to take up employment without a separate work permit can be found in the instructions on the decision to grant a temporary residence permit. Check what are the conditions for issuing a work permit.

If you work in Poland, you should apply for a temporary residence and work permit. Check the conditions for granting a temporary residence and work permit.

I have received my decison - how to get my residence card now?

The residence card is issued after you have received your decision with your permit.
Read more: How to get a residence card

Did you find it useful?

Report an error on this page / Leave feedback

This task is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Leave feedback