Temporary residence and work permit

When should I apply?

You should apply for a temporary residence permit if you wish to stay in Poland for a period exceeding 3 months and your primary purpose of stay is work.

You should apply for a residence permit in person before your current legal status expires (i.e. before your visa or residence card expires).

If you apply to extend your stay in Poland before the expiry date of your legal status, you can legally remain in Poland while your application is pending. Make sure you have submitted an error-free application. Your passport must be valid at this time.

In some cases, we may return your application without processing it. It may happen if you enter the territory of Poland on a national/Schengen visa for the purpose of tourism or visiting family and friends.

Before you apply, read our tips on how to fill in an application form.

Where should I apply?

You may apply in person at the Department for Foreigners in Poznań or one of the office's delegations: Book your visit

If you cannot apply in person before your current legal status expires, please send your application by post to meet the deadline.

What counts is the date of postage at the post office.

If you apply by post, your next step is to visit the office in person to give your fingerprints.

During your visit, you may also file other documents that are required to get a stamp in your passport.

Learn how to give your fingerprints.

What documents do I need?

Documents required to obtain a stamp in your passport (i.e. formal requirements)


Documents required to be granted a temporary residence and work permit:

  • Annex No 1 (download here) to the application for the temporary residence permit confirms a purpose of stay exceeding 3 months and a health insurance (applies to persons employed on the basis of regular employment contract or contract of mandate).

In Annex 1 to the application, the employer provides information regarding the amount of salary offered  for your work, which may not be lower than the minimum wage for work regardless of the number of working hours and the type of contract on the basis of which you perform the work. The conditions of work entrustment contained in the Annex No 1 must be consistent with conditions resulting from other documents, such as your employment contract, labour market test, etc.
  • The original document of labour market test or documents confirming exemption from the obligation to have a work permit. 
    Check if you need the Labour Market Test
    If the document is required, submit the original document of the labour market test obtained from a district job agency competent according to the place of your work – it is not considered as a formal error (i.e. it is not indispensable in order to get a stamp in your passport). However, submission of all documents at the time of applying can greatly speed up the process of granting a residence permit at a later stage of the proceedings (i.e. evidentiary proceedings),

  • If you perform work on the basis of project delivery contract, you will also need to enclose a document confirming you have a valid health insurance.

  • If you perform work in a regulated profession – you should enclose additional documents which confirm you have the required qualifications.

During the proceedings, make sure to inform us about any change related to your job, current place of living or mailing address.

What should I know?

Read our guide

The permit is granted for not longer than 3 years. This period depends primarily on the time for which your employer intends to hire you.

Your permit entitles you to work in Poland only on the conditions specified therein. You cannot work for another employer on its basis. 
There are some exemptions from this rule, e.g. if you have received a temporary residence and work permit as a graduate of a Polish upper secondary school, full-time university studies or full-time doctoral studies at a Polish university.

It is your responsibility to inform the Governor, who issued your permit about the termination of your work contract. You need to do it within 15 days from termination of work.  If you do not do this, we may refuse to grant you another temporary residence permit.
If you want to work for another employer, you must re-apply for a new permit. If you fail to do it, we may start the procedure of revocation of your last permit, because the purpose of your stay which you declared previously has ceased.

I have received my decison - how to get my residence card now?

The residence card is issued after you have received your decision with your permit. Read How to receive residence card?

Did you find it useful?

Report an error on this page / Leave feedback

This task is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Leave feedback


What type of health insurance is required in order to obtain a temporary residence and work permit?

  • If you work on the basis of an employment contract or a contract of mandate, submission of additional health insurance policy is not required;
  • If you perform work on the basis of a project delivery contract, you need to submit...
read the whole answer...

My application is being processed by the Governor of the Wielkopolska Province but I would like to move to another province? Should I submit a new application?

No. Make sure you inform us that you changed place of residence and provide your new address. Your application will be forwarded to proper Governor whose territorial jurisdiction complies...

read the whole answer...

My employee's residence card is about to expire and a new application has been filed. Is my employee allowed to legally work/ stay in Poland/ travel to his country of origin and re-enter the territory of Poland, on the basis of the stamp in passport?

  • If the foreigner continues to work for the same employer/industry on the same conditions of employment as those indicated in previous residence permit, s/he can legally work;
  • If work is performed on different conditions than those indicated in the...
read the whole answer...

The foreigner is employed by a temporary employment agency and has a temporary residence card. Can he or she be directly employed by the user-employer? Will the card be still valid?

If the foreigner wants to work directly for the user-employer who was indicated in the decision, he/she has to obtain a new residence and work permit (submit another application), and inform the Governor about termination of the employment within 15 days.

I applied for temporary residence and work permit and I'm still waiting for my decision to be issued, but I lost my job. Will my application be still examined?

  • You should inform us about it and provide your current correspondence address. We will send you a notice in which you will be requested to submit documents confirming your purpose of stay in Poland. In you still want to work in Poland, submit Annex No 1....
read the whole answer...