A parent has a residency permit

When to apply?

You apply for your minor child if you are a foreigner, you have one of the following residence titles, and you want to obtain a temporary residence permit for your minor children who live with you in Poland:

If the child is a minor, parents or legal guardians appointed by the court shall appply on his behalf (or one of the parents or one of the guardians appointed by the court).

If your child is already in Poland, they should apply for a residence permit in person before their current legal status expires (i.e. before their visa or residence card expires). If your child is a minor of 6 years old or over on the day of the application, their presence is required at the office. 

If you do not hold any of the mentioned above residence permits, the application for temporary residence permit for a minor child will be considered according to the rules specified for the child whose parent is applying for the first temporary residence permit. Read more

Before you apply, read our tips on how to fill out an application form.

Where should I apply?

You may apply in person at the Department for Foreigners in Poznań or one of the office's delegations: Book your visit

If you cannot apply in person before your current legal status expires, please send your application by post to meet the deadline.

What counts is the date of postage at the post office.

If you apply by post, and your child is 6 years old or over on the day of the application, your next step is to visit the office in person to give their fingerprints.

During your visit, you may also file other documents that are required to get a stamp in your passport.

Learn how to give your fingerprints

What documents do I need?

If the child is already in Poland:

Documents required to obtain a stamp in your passport (i.e. formal requirements)

To start the proceedings will also be needed confirmation that you have paid the stamp duty.


Documents required to be granted the residence permit:

All documents are submitted in original / certified copy.

If the child resides abroad at the time of apllication:

Documents required to start the procedure:

To start the proceedings will also be needed confirmation that you have paid the stamp duty.


Documents required to be granted the residence permit:

All documents are submitted in original / certified copy.

What should I know?

Read our guide

The requirement of stable and regular source of income is also considered to be met if the costs of maintaining the child are covered by the parent who resides in Poland.

During the procedure for granting a temporary residence permit to a child of a foreigner, we determine whether the relationship with the parent residing in Poland is real and permanent. During the proceedings you may be asked to provide other documents or to testify confirming the circumstances that you indicated in the application and the circumstances regarding the purpose of your child's stay.

If the child resides outside the Republic of Poland, after obtaining a temporary residence permit in order to reunite with the family, you should apply for a visa for your child to enter Poland. After arriving in Poland, you should apply for a residence card for the child, based on the residence permit they have been granted.

I have received my decison - how to get my residence card now?

The residence card is issued after obtaining a positive decision on granting the permit. When a residence card issued to a minor over 13 years of age is collected, his/her presence is required. When a residence card has been issued to a minor under 13 years of age by the date of its receipt, the card shall be collected by his legal representative or guardian.

Read more:

How to receive a card when your child was already in Poland at the time of application

How to receive a card when your child was abroad at the time of application

Did you find it useful?

Report an error on this page / Leave feedback

This task is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Leave feedback


The income of the foreigner who filed applications on behalf of his children is insufficient. Can he/she submit documents confirming entitlement to benefits (such as the 500+)?

One-off social benefits, purpose-specific benefits, aids of social character, unemployment benefits, child-support benefits  - the so-called ‘500+’ or financial assistance for holders of the Pole's Card DO NOT constitute stable and regular sources of income. Financial means obtained from the...

read the whole answer...

How to legalise the stay of foreigners’ child born in Poland?

If your child was born in Poland, first you need to contact the embassy/consular office of your country of origin, located in Poland, in order to obtain a travel document (passport) for him/her. Then, you have to apply for a residence permit for your child, (not later than on the last day of...

read the whole answer...

Can I work without a work permit, if I was granted a residence permit for a family member of a foreigner?

It depends on conditions under which the permit was granted (i.e. which provisions were indicated in your decision). If you were granted a residence permit for family reunification (article 159 paragraph 1 of the Act on Foreigners of 12 December 2013) you can work without the need to obtain an...

read the whole answer...

Is it possible to submit an application for temporary residence for children for learning purpose if the parents do not have a residence card yet?

An application for a minor child must be submitted due to the stay with the parents. In this case, please remember that the funds from the parents' work are the main source of income for minor children, therefore the decision cannot be made until the parents legalize their stay and work in...

read the whole answer...