Researcher's mobility

When should I apply?

You should apply if you have a residence permit issued by another Member State of the European Union with the annotation ‘Researcher’, and you will conduct part of scientific research or development in a scientific unit established in Poland approved by the Minister responsible for internal affairs.

It is also possible for a researcher to use the mobility of researcher on the territory of Poland also based on a long-term visa the notation ‘researcher’ issued by another Member State of the European Union. If you are conducting tests during the period of validity of the visa, you do not need to apply for a temporary residence permit.

If you conduct part of the scientific research or development project in the scientific unity in Poland approved by the Minister responsible for internal affairs, you can benefit from the mobility of a short-term researcher in the territory of Poland within a period not exceeding 180 days in any period of 360 days, notably from the possibility of benefiting from this mobility in other Member State EU.
It is enough if you notify the Head of the Office for Foreigners about your intention to use this form of mobility. The notification to the Head of the Office for Foreigners sends the scientific unit from the country that issued the residence permit with the annotation 'scientist'.

You should apply for a residence permit in person before your current legal status expires (i.e. before your visa or residence card expires). If you apply to extend your stay in Poland before the expiry date of your legal status, you can legally remain in Poland while your application is pending. Make sure you have submitted an error-free application. Your passport must be valid at this time.

Before you apply, read our tips on completing the application forms.

Where should I apply?

You may apply in person at the Department for Foreigners in Poznań or one of the office's delegations: Book your visit

If you cannot apply in person before your current legal status expires, please send your application by post to meet the deadline.

What counts is the date of postage at the post office.

If you apply by post, your next step is to visit the office in person to give your fingerprints.

During your visit, you may also file other documents that are required to get a stamp in your passport.

Learn how to give your fingerprints

What documents do I need?

Documents required to obtain a stamp in your passport (i.e. formal requirements)


Documents required to be granted the permit:

  • photocopy of the residence card or long-stay visa with the annotation of ‘scientist’ issued by another EU country;
  • contract concerning the admission of a scientist for the purpose of conducting scientific research or development projects concluded with a scientific unit based in Poland;
  • a written statement by the scientific unit in which it undertakes to the issue and implementation of the decision to oblige the foreigner to return;
  • proof of health insurance:
  • proof of residence;
  • a document confirming the sufficient financial resources to cover the cost of living in Poland and return travel for the duration of scientific research of development projects, after deduction of the cost of residence;
  • a declaration regarding housing costs (download it here).

What should I know?

Read our guide

The permit is granted for a period not longer than 3 years.

This permit entitles you to perform work without the need to obtain an additional work permit.

I have received my decison - how to get my residence card now?

The residence card is issued after you have received your decision with your permit. Read How to receive my residence card

Did you find it useful?

Report an error on this page / Leave feedback

This task is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Leave feedback