European Economic Area (EEA) - a free trade area and common market, including European Union and European Free Trade Association (EFTA) countries, with the exception of Switzerland.

The EEA includes: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia (not fully), Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Spain, the Netherlands, Ireland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Latvia, Malta, Germany, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Hungary, Italy.

An employer is any natural person or any company, including temporary employment agencies, for or under the direction and/or supervision of whom the employment is undertaken. It is anyone who hires more than one person.
In Poland, any work can be performed under conditions defined in the contract between you and your employer. There are different types of contracts, such as:

  • regular employment contract (e.g. for a fixed period, for an indefinite period);
  • contract of a mandate - concluded for a performance of a specified activity;
  • project delivery contract - concluded for the achievement of a specific result, such as software development. 

Both parties should sign every contract – you and your employer as well. Your contract should also specify the type, time and place of the work, that you will be performing, as well as your salary (monthly/weekly/hourly rate).
If you do not understand your contract, ask your employer to translate it to your native language.
Remember that to take up legal employment in Poland, apart from signing a contract, you would also need to fulfil certain conditions. 

It is a contract based on which you perform work/perform a specified activity/ achieve a specific result.

Turkish citizens have the special right to work in the territory of the Republic of Poland. The rules are set out in Decision No. 1/80 of the Association Council of the Turkish Republic and EEC on September 19, 1980. on the development of the Association, which Council was established under the Agreement establishing an Association between the European Economic Community and Turkey, signed in Ankara on 12. September 1963.

Based on that a Turkish citizen:

  • after 1 year of legal employment, he has the right to renew his work permit with the same employer, provided that his position is retained,
  • after 3 years of legal employment (subject to priority of the Polish citizen) working in the same profession with any employer,
  • after 4 years he can start work without a permit.

Family members of Turkish citizens:

  • a family member of a Turkish citizen who has been issued permit to join him as part of family reunion may take up work after 5 years of legal residence in Poland,
  • children of a Turkish citizen who have completed vocational training in Poland - can take up work after 3 years of legal employment of one of the parents on Polish territory.

An entry and stay entitlement is a document allowing you to enter or remain on the territory of Poland or other EU state, e.g. a visa, a residence permit or a valid passport of a country, whose nationals may enter and stay in the territory of Poland based on visa-free travel/visa-waver scheme.

It is a colloquial name used for the temporary residence high qualified workers. Learn more

Member State of the European Union: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, and Sweden.

It is a document confirming the residence of an EU citizen in Poland for at least 5 years. Learn more

It is a document confirming your access to national healthcare services in each member state of the European Union and also in the European Free Trade Association area.

These are some extraordinary, unusual circumstances that may occur in your life, e.g. illness, emergencies, other adverse events.

Your national visa can be extended during your stay in Poland, under conditions defined by certain provisions. A national visa can be extended once, provided that the period of residence based on the extended national visa must not exceed a period of one year (365 days). Learn more


It is a document which entitles you to perform legal work in Poland, provided that you hold a valid visa or a residence permit. An extension of a work permit is issued at the employer request, on condition that previous work permit was issued due to work performed for the same employer. Learn more

A form of tertiary education which involves attending classes during weekends, from Friday to Sunday. It relates to any education pursued beyond the high school level, i.e. undergraduate and graduate certificates, bachelor's, masters and doctoral degrees. See also: Full-time studies