A parent applies for their first temporary residence permit

When should I apply?

You should apply if you wish to receive a residence permit for your minor children, who live with you in Poland, and your first application for a temporary residence permit is pending, or you hold a temporary residence permit for less than 2 years, and you hold neither a permanent residence permit nor a residence permit for a long-term resident of the EU.

If the child is a minor, parents or legal guardians appointed by the court shall appply on their behalf (or one of the parents or one of the guardians appointed by the court). If your child is a minor of 6 years old or over on the day of the application, their presence is required at the office.

If you apply to extend your minor child's stay in Poland before the expiry date of their legal status, they can legally remain in Poland while their application is pending. Make sure you have submitted an error-free application. If the child was born in Poland, apply immediately after obtaining the child's travel document. Their passport must be valid at this time.

Before you apply, read our tips on how to fill out an application form.

Where should I apply?

You may apply in person at the Department for Foreigners in Poznań or one of the office's delegations: Book your visit

If your child cannot apply in person before their current legal status expires, please send their application by post to meet the deadline. Check the addresses.

What counts is the date of postage at the post office.

If you apply by post and your minor child is 6 years old or above on the day of their application, your next step is to visit the office in person to give their fingerprints.

During your visit, you may also file other documents that are required to get a stamp in their passport.

Learn how to give your fingerprints

What documents do I need?

Documents required to obtain a stamp in your passport (i.e. formal requirements)

To start the proceedings you will also a confirmation that you have paid the stamp duty.


Documents required to be granted the residence permit:

All documents are submitted in original / certified copy.

What should I know?

I have received my decison - how to get my residence card now?

When a residence card issued to a minor over 13 years of age is collected, his/her presence is required. When a residence card has been issued to a minor under 13 years of age by the date of its receipt, the card shall be collected by his legal representative or guardian.

The residence card is issued after obtaining a positive decision on granting the permit.

Read more: How to receive a card

Did you find it useful?

Report an error on this page / Leave feedback

This task is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Leave feedback


I have a residence card/I applied for a residence card and I would like my family to come to Poland. How to legalise the stay of my husband/wife and children in Poland?

Check the conditions for granting temporary residence permit for family members: spouse, minor child.


I have been a holder of a residence card for over a year. My wife came to Poland and she is going to apply for a residence permit on the basis of „a stay with family”. Will the annotation “access to the labour market” be placed in her residence card?

If this is your first temporary residence card, your wife will not have the annotation “access to the labour market” placed in her card. Such annotation can only be placed in her card, if you have been staying in Poland for at least 2 years, on the basis of consecutive temporary residence...

read the whole answer...

When should an application for a residence permit for a family member (of foreigner) who stays outside the territory of Poland be filed, and who can do it?

You can apply for a temporary residence permit on behalf of each family member who would like to reunite with you, but stays outside the territory of Poland, if you hold one of the entry and stay titles below:

  • a permanent residence permit,
  • a residence permit for long-term...
read the whole answer...

Is it required to submit a certificate of enrolment/continuation of education (from school/ kindergarten) for a foreigner’s child?

  • No. It is not necessary. However, under certain circumstances, if some documents  need further clarification, you might be asked to submit such a certificate.
  • Remember that the period of compulsory education, imposed by law,  refers to any child under the age of 18 who stays in...
read the whole answer...

What kind of documents confirming stable and regular source of income should be enclosed to the application for a foreigner’s child, if the application was filed by the child’s mother who remains unemployed and is dependent on her husband....

Documents confirming stable and regular source of income to be enclosed to the application for a foreigner’s child, if the application was filed by the child’s mother who remains unemployed and is dependent on her husband, who is not the child’s legal guardian:

  • If the child’s mother...
read the whole answer...