Parent holds a visa/temporary residence permit

When should I apply?

You should apply if you are a foreigner and you hold a valid visa or a temporary residence permit and you had a child in Poland.

The application on behalf of a minor child is submitted by parents or guardians appointed by the court, or one of the parents or one of the guardians appointed by the court. The child will not receive a stamp in the passport confirming the submission of the application. Children born in Poland will be legally in Poland only after their temporary residence permit is granted.

Before you apply, read our tips on how to fill in an application form.

Where should I apply?

You may apply in person at the Department for Foreigners in Poznań or one of the office's delegations: Book your visit

If you cannot apply in person before your current legal status expires, please send your application by post to meet the deadline.

What counts is the date of postage at the post office.

If you apply by post, your next step is to visit the office in person to give your fingerprints - make an appointment 

During your visit, you may also file other documents that are required to get a stamp in your passport.

Learn how to give your fingerprints

What documents do I need? 

Documents required to start the procedure (i.e. formal requirements)

To start the proceedings will also be needed confirmation that you have paid the stamp duty


Documents needed to grant the permit:

All documents are submitted in original / certified copy.

What should I know?

Read our guide

Temporary residence permit for a child is granted for a period corresponding to the period of validity of the visa / temporary residence permit of the parent, but not longer than 3 years.

The requirement to have a stable and regular source of income is also considered to be met if the costs of maintaining the child will be covered by the parent who resides in the territory of the Republic of Poland.

I have received my decison - how to get my residence card now?

The residence card is issued after obtaining a positive decision on granting the permit. When a residence card issued to a minor over 13 years of age is collected, his/her presence is required. When a residence card has been issued to a minor under 13 years of age by the date of its receipt, the card shall be collected by his legal representative or guardian. Read how to get a residence card

Did you find it useful?

Report an error on this page / Leave feedback

This task is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.


The income of the foreigner who filed applications on behalf of his children is insufficient. Can he/she submit documents confirming entitlement to benefits (such as the 500+)?

One-off social benefits, purpose-specific benefits, aids of social character, unemployment benefits, child-support benefits  - the so-called ‘500+’ or financial assistance for holders of the Pole's Card DO NOT constitute stable and regular sources of income. Financial means obtained from the...

read the whole answer...

How to legalise the stay of foreigners’ child born in Poland?

If your child was born in Poland, first you need to contact the embassy/consular office of your country of origin, located in Poland, in order to obtain a travel document (passport) for him/her. Then, you have to apply for a residence permit for your child, (not later than on the last day of...

read the whole answer...

Can I work without a work permit, if I was granted a residence permit for a family member of a foreigner?

It depends on conditions under which the permit was granted (i.e. which provisions were indicated in your decision). If you were granted a residence permit for family reunification (article 159 paragraph 1 of the Act on Foreigners of 12 December 2013) you can work without the need to obtain an...

read the whole answer...