Parent holds a visa/temporary residence permit

When should I apply?

You should apply if you are a foreigner and you hold a valid visa or a temporary residence permit and you had a child in Poland.

The application on behalf of a minor child is submitted by parents or guardians appointed by the court, or one of the parents or one of the guardians appointed by the court. The child will not receive a stamp in the passport confirming the submission of the application. Children born in Poland will be legally in Poland only after their temporary residence permit is granted.

Before you apply, read our tips on how to fill in an application form.

Where should I apply?

You may apply in person at the Department for Foreigners in Poznań or one of the office's delegations: Book your visit

If you cannot apply in person before your current legal status expires, please send your application by post to meet the deadline.

What counts is the date of postage at the post office.

If you apply by post, your next step is to visit the office in person to give your fingerprints.

During your visit, you may also file other documents that are required to get a stamp in your passport.

Learn how to give your fingerprints

What documents do I need? 

Documents required to start the procedure (i.e. formal requirements)

To start the proceedings will also be needed confirmation that you have paid the stamp duty


Documents needed to grant the permit:

All documents are submitted in original / certified copy.

What should I know?

Read our guide

Temporary residence permit for a child is granted for a period corresponding to the period of validity of the visa / temporary residence permit of the parent, but not longer than 3 years.

The requirement to have a stable and regular source of income is also considered to be met if the costs of maintaining the child will be covered by the parent who resides in the territory of the Republic of Poland.

I have received my decison - how to get my residence card now?

The residence card is issued after obtaining a positive decision on granting the permit. When a residence card issued to a minor over 13 years of age is collected, his/her presence is required. When a residence card has been issued to a minor under 13 years of age by the date of its receipt, the card shall be collected by his legal representative or guardian. Read how to get a residence card

Did you find it useful?

Report an error on this page / Leave feedback

This task is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Leave feedback


I have a residence card/I applied for a residence card and I would like my family to come to Poland. How to legalise the stay of my husband/wife and children in Poland?

Check the conditions for granting temporary residence permit for family members: spouse, minor child.


I have been a holder of a residence card for over a year. My wife came to Poland and she is going to apply for a residence permit on the basis of „a stay with family”. Will the annotation “access to the labour market” be placed in her residence card?

If this is your first temporary residence card, your wife will not have the annotation “access to the labour market” placed in her card. Such annotation can only be placed in her card, if you have been staying in Poland for at least 2 years, on the basis of consecutive temporary residence...

read the whole answer...

When should an application for a residence permit for a family member (of foreigner) who stays outside the territory of Poland be filed, and who can do it?

You can apply for a temporary residence permit on behalf of each family member who would like to reunite with you, but stays outside the territory of Poland, if you hold one of the entry and stay titles below:

  • a permanent residence permit,
  • a residence permit for long-term...
read the whole answer...

Is it required to submit a certificate of enrolment/continuation of education (from school/ kindergarten) for a foreigner’s child?

  • No. It is not necessary. However, under certain circumstances, if some documents  need further clarification, you might be asked to submit such a certificate.
  • Remember that the period of compulsory education, imposed by law,  refers to any child under the age of 18 who stays in...
read the whole answer...

What kind of documents confirming stable and regular source of income should be enclosed to the application for a foreigner’s child, if the application was filed by the child’s mother who remains unemployed and is dependent on her husband....

Documents confirming stable and regular source of income to be enclosed to the application for a foreigner’s child, if the application was filed by the child’s mother who remains unemployed and is dependent on her husband, who is not the child’s legal guardian:

  • If the child’s mother...
read the whole answer...